National Honor Society Inducts New Members

Taylor Kalbaugh, Staff Writer

The National Honor Society held its annual Induction Ceremony at the PAC on Thursday, September 9. A total of 61 new Juniors and Seniors were inducted to the club in addition to 34 current members, totaling 95 club members. To be invited into the club, students must be Sophomore, Juniors, or Seniors and have 3.5 GPA. The club is centered on leadership and community service and must accumulate 20 service hours per semester, half with the club and half without the club.

“The NHS officers lead a successful Induction Ceremony,” said club sponsor and science teacher Ms. Conklin. “New members were professional and respectful. I look forward to a strong, unified club this year.”

Club president, Senior Michelle Salazar and other club officers spoke about what each pillar of the club means to them.

“Everyone got to demonstrate a little piece of themselves,” said Salazar. “The officer speeches were personal and everything went smoothly.”

This year, Salazar said the club will focus on more group activities  and more volunteer work that is focused on working as a team.  The first event will be the Buddy Walk in mid-October, a fundraising event for people with Down s Syndrome. The club also participates in beach clean ups and the biggest event of the year, Relay for Life, a charity event to raise money for cancer research. At Relay for Life, at least one member from each team must be walking a track in honor of the continuous fight for life that people with cancer suffer.

New and returning club members said they are excited to start their volunteer activities and activities with each other. Students inducted were all antsy, waiting to be called on stage and then take pictures of their new honor. After the ceremony ended, members were treated to sweets and snacks in the lobby of the PAC.