Easy Ways to get Community Service

Courtesy of MCT Campus

TNS

Courtesy of MCT Campus

Alicia Newby, Staff Writer

Community service hours are required for your graduation. For some people they are easy to get, and others it is hard. However, there are many places in Palm Beach where you could get community service hours.

Somewhere that you could get a ton of community service hours is at a summer camp. At most summer camps, they have a counselor-in-training program, where they assign you to a counselor and you work with them during the summer. You lead games, participate in activities, and go on field trips with the children. Places that have these programs include Diamond View Elementary, Chancellor Charter School, Planet Kids, and the Boynton YMCA. If you cannot do it during the summer, you can do it after school instead. After school programs are at the same places that do it during summer. If you can’t get a ride to these places after school, you can take a school bus to somewhere near there and walk the rest of the way.

If kids are not your thing, there is a volunteer program at the YMCA where you work at the front desk, help fill papers, and just help around the building. It is not hard work and an easy way to stack up your hours.

Another way to get you hours is holiday events such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. Every Christmas and Thanksgiving, there are schools who make meals for the less fortunate. One school that does this every year is Lantana Middle School. It’s only for a couple hours and not only does it provide you hours, but you get to meet new people and give back to the community for people who don’t have as much as you do. It is fulfilling.

The library is also a way to get community service hours. At the Lantana Road Branch Library, you can help put books back and help people find books. Although it might be boring to some, it gives a good amount of hours.

Lastly, the easiest way to get community service hours is helping teachers. Some teachers will let you help file their papers, staple papers, and help with anything they need with the classroom. Although you won’t get many hours, it is a step closer to those 20 hours that are required for your graduation.