A Special Report on the Black Friday Craze

Matthew Leto, Sports Editor

After Thanksgiving dinner at 8:00, I started my journey in line. At 8:3o, hundreds huddled at the doors of Best Buy. At 8:40, arguing and pushing ensued, it was time to shop.

Black Friday has swept the nation. Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving, noted as the first day of traditional Christmas shopping, during which crowds of consumers are drawn to special offers by retailers and many Chiefs are very drawn to the day. As part of my research for this article, I attended half a dozen retailers during Black Friday.

Since 1932, Black Friday has been regarded as the beginning of the Christmas shopping season in the United States. Most companies are in the red meaning they have lost money and Black Friday is the transition and companies begin making profits. Most major retailers open very early and more recently during overnight hours and offer promotional sales.

Freshman Drew Swaters chimed in on his experience.

“I was really happy to get the Playstation 4 and NBA 2k17 at a great price,” Swaters said. “I definitely will go again next year.”

Junior Ethan Mansdorf also found great deals on Friday.

“My mom has done a lot for me this year, so I wanted to do something nice for her,” Mansdorf said. “So I bought her a new TV.”

Although many enjoy the shopping day, sophomore Natalie Bruno weighed in on why she does not participate in the Black Friday craze.

“I don’t enjoy shopping if I have to wait in long lines,” Bruno said. “I’m doing all my shopping online, on Cyber Monday.

Cyber Monday, is the Monday after Black Friday and is huge discounts on consumer goods online, Cyber Monday is widely built upon the millennials.

Interested to see what the much-discussed Black Friday is really like, I was told that most retailers are packed on Black Friday and boy they were not kidding, there were hundreds compacted in a retailer.

I saved up enough money looking to buy a new game and took my spot in a lengthy line at Best Buy, with no chance of standing out being in a line of hundreds of customers.

However, when the time came, I was focused on getting what I desired. I must admit I ran to the front of the line to get a game that I really wanted because it was about 4o percent off the original price.

At the end of my Black Friday experience, I really enjoyed my experience but it is definitely a day for shoppers who have money saved, I can not wait to go next year.