Athlete Profile: Terrell Shines

Marisia Aquino-Woods

official photo of Chief Terrell Shines J.R.

Marisia Aquino-Woods, Staff Writer

Hey, my loves.

Today, I wanted to introduce you to a new, upcoming Chief, who is not only partaking an interest in wrestling but is also working towards becoming one of Santaluces’ new football stars. I present to you my brother, Terrell Shines J.R.

Born on May 1st, 2006, Terrell, or better much known as J.R., was one out of many who had a passion for sports. I swear the kid has thirst for motivation. Out of me and my other brother, J.R. was really the one outside playing and running around like crazy, which led to him to partake an interest in regards to playing basketball.

Every day after school, he and our father would go over drills, skills, and work ethic that would better him in the future. Although, it wasn’t until J.R. got a little bit older than he finally realized that basketball wasn’t really something he wanted to pursue in regards to sports, and maybe even a career later down the line.

At the age of 13, J.R. started to actually take an interest in football. Every day, he would wake up and go to the park with our father, where they would run and build up as much stamina as they could. They would even create games at the park with our uncles and my brother’s friends.

And, it wasn’t until then that we saw the true talent behind him. For my brother, that was just the beginning. Fast-forwarding to the beginning of Sophomore year, my brother told me that he wanted to take on wrestling as well. I couldn’t believe it, but if there was anyone who could take on the challenge of both sports, my brother was the man for the job.

He told me the reasoning behind his choice in regards to playing both sports was, “Because it’s one thing I can never stop myself from becoming a better me. I love the drive and the challenge. I love proving to people that you don’t have to settle for just one solemn career. You can be many things, but lazy can’t be one of ’em.”

However, that’s not where the story ends. Outside of wrestling and football, J.R. also takes interest in the bike world. Better known as the Florida Rippers, they’re a group of young teens and adults who come from different cities, states, and countries who go around and perform stunts on their bikes. This allows many of them to create a space where they can be themselves and have fun.

But not only does J.R. do stunts, but he also makes a lot of bike edits. Whether it be them all riding through Miami doing stunts, or just simply showing off their bike’s bodywork, it allows their viewers to see how they build their bikes from the ground up. It also allows room for the boys to be endorsed. For example, J.R. has already been linked to many sticker kit companies in regards to his bike’s bodywork.

Though, as many things come to an end, J.R. has put a hold on his bike life due to the main factor: his given desire to graduate high school and make something of himself. “I’d rather be a somebody, than a nobody. And right now, school and my career in sports are the only two things that are going to get me there”.

And, just like that, my brother is doing everything he set out to do. Maintaining a 3.0 GPA and passion for both school and sports, I couldn’t be prouder. So, I give to you, my loves, a Chief in progress. Welcome, Terrell Shines!