The Top 5 Movies You Missed This Summer

Sophia Clifton, Staff Writer

The summer of 2019 has been an amazing season for entertainment. Music releases from Clairo’s debut album, ‘Immunity,’ to Drake’s compilation album, ‘Care Package,’ have surprised and satisfied fans. Hit Netflix original TV shows ‘Stranger Things’ and ‘Dear White People’ both premiered their third seasons this summer as well. However, there is simply not enough time for consumers to see everything they want to. This list will help narrow down your list of must-see movies this summer.

1.   Spider-Man: Far From Home

Marvel fans were left in shock with the death of Tony Stark at the end of another Marvel film, ‘Avengers: Endgame.’ ‘Spider-Man: Far From Home’ portrays the realistic and heartbreaking aftershocks of Stark’s death and how it affected those closest to him, especially Peter Parker (Tom Holland.) Fans are also introduced to a new hero, Mysterio (Jake Gyllenhaal.) Gyllenhaal’s performance, like many of his others, is intense and impressive. The summer blockbuster is fun for all audiences and leaves Marvel fans satisfied with this phase of the MCU.

1.   Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

The 9thmovie from Quentin Tarantino, and possibly the final Tarantino movie written by Tarantino himself, follows fading movie star Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his stunt double Clint Booth (Brad Pitt) through their friendship and hardships in 1960s Hollywood. The film also follows aspiring actress Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) and various members of the Manson Family. Tarantino’s take on 1969 Hollywood proves to be funny, heartfelt, and of course, violent. Despite some gore, Tarantino reveals a new side of his work, more mature than his previous films.

1.   Rocketman

Rocketman’ is a heartfelt biopic about legendary singer Elton John. Taron Egerton, star of ‘Kingsman’ and ‘Robin Hood,’ plays John. The shoes of Elton John are big ones to fill, however, Egerton handles the role with grace and undeniable talent. ‘Rocketman’ also features the likenesses of Bernie Taupin (Jamie Bell) and John Reed (Richard Madden.) The film is produced by Elton John himself and co-produced by John’s husband, David Furnish. The production of the film makes it that much more emotional and personal than many biopics before it.

1.   How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

The third and final chapter of the ‘How to Train Your Dragon’ trilogy continues the story of a Viking named Hiccup and a Night Fury dragon named Toothless. The unlikely duo has been captivating audiences of all ages since the first chapter, ‘How to Train Your Dragon,’ was released in 2010. Despite Toothless’ inability to speak, his character’s layers are captivating. Further characterization of Toothless is provided through a new dragon, the Light Fury. Toothless’ yearning for a companion like himself is finally acknowledged in this chapter. The film is beautiful to watch and touching in its portrayal of love and friendship. 

1.   Booksmart

Oliva Wilde’s directing debut follows high school seniors Molly (Beanie Feldstein) and Amy (Kaitlyn Dever) through their final day of high school. The pair realize they’ve wasted their high school years on all work and no play. Molly and Amy decide to spend their last day of high school attending a huge graduation party. The film is a perfect mixture of a high school party movie and a heartfelt portrayal of friendship that leaves viewers laughing and crying. Dever and Feldstein’s chemistry carries the film and provides audiences with a true sense of a healthy female friendship.