The Very Best Movies of the 80s

Sophia Clifton, Staff Writer

1. Pretty in Pink

Pretty in Pink follows high school senior Andie (Molly Ringwald) through her relationships with the boys in her life. Duckie, (Jon Cryer) Andie’s best friend, has a major crush on her that eventually puts a strain on their friendship. Duckie and Andie are both totally surprised when Blane (Andrew McCarthy) asks Andie out on a date. Blane is one of the most rich and popular kids at school. Andie must navigate through her new relationship with Blane and her longtime friendship with Duckie. What I like most about this movie is that it is not a love triangle. The movie revolves around Andie and her life. She is a strong female lead that keeps the audience interested in this wonderful film.

2. Heathers

Heathers is a dark comedy/drama starring Winona Ryder and Christian Slater. Main character Veronica (Winona Ryder) is part of one of the most popular girl groups at her school. She wants out and finds herself in a toxic relationship with a boy at her school, J.D. (Christian Slater.) Soon enough, the two go on a murder spree in an attempt to stop the horrible behavior of kids at their high school. The mixture of quick quips and murder plots makes Heathers unique and entertaining for audiences. 

3.  Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off captures the spirit of high school and having a good time. The film opens with Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) attempting to stay home from school. Bueller successfully tricks his parents and then recruits his best friend Cameron and his girlfriend Sloan to join him. The trio then take on the streets of Chicago with Cameron’s dad’s Ferrari. All the while, Principal Rooney (Jeffrey Jones) is determined to catch them in the act. This movie is fun for the whole family. It’s carefree tone and fun-loving characters have outlasted time and earned Ferris Bueller’s Day Off a spot on this list. 

4.  The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys follows brothers Michael (Jason Patric) and Sam (Corey Haim) as they move to a new town in California. Sam meets two new friends at a comic book store while Michael almost immediately falls in love with a local girl, Star (Jami Gertz.) Michael finds out that Star is involved with a local gang of vampires run by David (Kiefer Sutherland.) Michael gets involved with this gang and Sam and his friends must save him from the vampires. The Lost Boys is fun and fast paced and a must-see for all audiences.