‘Grease’ Review

Grease+Review

Sophia Clifton, Staff Writer

For Homecoming 2020 Chiefs are ‘Dancing Through the Decades.’ Students all over campus are dressing in 70s, 80s, and 90s themed outfits. After a week of festivities, Saturday will be the dance. The 50s themed dance pays homage to old school dances and the movie Grease. Although this classic film has always been a favorite of mine, I revisited it this past weekend. Grease has remained fun and lively since its release date more than 40 years ago. The sing-alongs and dance numbers capture audiences and promise a good time. In honor of Homecoming 2020, this is an honest review of Grease.

Grease has both an entertaining plot and and a catchy soundtrack. Of all the songs on the soundtrack, my personal favorite is ‘Grease’ by Frankie Valli. ‘Grease’ sets the scene for the entire movie and beautifully closes the movie as well. Classics like ‘Summer Nights’ and ‘Greased Lightnin’ make the Grease soundtrack catchy and captivating. 

Stars Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta carry this film as Sandy Olsson and Danny Zuko. Some honorable mentions go to Stockard Channing as Rizzo and Didi Conn as Frenchy. Songs like ‘Beauty School Dropout’ and ‘Look at Me, I’m Sandra Dee’ perfectly capture Frenchy and Rizzo. The complicated relationships in Grease are also important to the film. These elements make Grease the perfect high school film.

Arguably one of the most memorable scenes in Grease is the school dance scene. ‘Born To Hand Jive’ plays and John Travolta’s iconic dance moves are showcased. Although Santaluces won’t be able to perfectly replicate this scene, this year’s homecoming theme does its best. Inspired by the movie Grease, Santaluces Student Government beautifully decorated and planned the dance. Any students who have not seen Grease yet should be sure to before the homecoming dance on Saturday, October 12th.