Racing Towards a Cure

Ethan Mansdorf, Photo Editor

This year the Santaluces Criminal Justice Academy joined the “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” 5k run/walk as a group with more than 50 student cadets and PBSO members.

Every year hundreds of people pour onto West Palm’s Flagler Drive at 7:30 AM to register and participate in the annual “Making Strides Against Breast Cancer” 5k run/walk. During this event, individuals, groups, parties and companies all come together dressed head to toe in pink as a community to donate time, money and energy to the fight against breast cancer.

“Having the Criminal Justice academy participating in the breast cancer walk is important because we can help to give hope to those fighting through the exhausting battle,” said Senior cadet Captain Jackeline Ticas. “We have been there for the past four years and plan to be there as far into the future as we can.”

Many cadets have their own experiences with the fight against breast cancer.

“My great grandmother battled breast cancer and we dealt with all the problems it came with,” said Criminal Justice academy senior Jasmine Hair. “The walk is important to my family because they have all been lucky enough to be survivors so the support is big with us.”

Along with the SHS Criminal Justice Academy, representatives from Forest Hill High JROTC academy and many other schools where in attendance to show their support as well.

As the fight for a cure continues, so will the outpouring of support from the community and its schools.