National Banned Books Week
September 26, 2019
A number of books have been banned throughout time, including classics such as the Harry Potter series and Captain Underpants.
Starting September 22nd through the 28th, Banned Books Week celebrates literacy and shines a light on the dangers of censorship.
The week highlights the importance of freedom of speech and expressing ideas. In 2018 alone, more than 480 books have been banned.
How many books have you read that have been banned?
- To Kill a Mockingbird: The book focuses on ideas of losing innocence, gender roles, and racial identity. Due to this, the book is in the seventh slot in the American Library Association most challenged and banned books list for 2017.
- Handmaid’s Tale: The book has been banned due to its anti-christian beliefs and its main idea focusing on sex, religion, and feminism.
- Captain Underpants: The books are looked at as encouraging disobedience. It became the most banned book in 2012 because of this.
- The Hate You Give: This book has been banned for its profanity and sexual references.
- Thirteen Reasons Why: Just like the T.V. show, the book has been banned due to the way teen suicide is portrayed.