Save The Date!
  • Winter Concert: 12/14
  • Semester Exams: 12/19-12/22
  • End of 2nd Quarter: 12/22
  • Winter Break: 12/25-1/08

What You Can Do to Assist Palestinians

Bryanne Elie
The @savetopia_global post that you can repost

Most of the world is fully aware of all the atrocities towards Palestinians that are occurring in Gaza. And I know that some may feel helpless not knowing how to assist effectively with limited means. However, there are resources that are achievable throughout the Internet that you can do to help out.

Firstly, reposting @savetopia_global posts on Instagram helps raise money for different causes in Gaza. The only obligation required is to follow the account in order for this to work. A repost allows $1 to be donated and while that doesn’t seem like much, a little can go a long way, and reposting, can inspire others to do the same and bring awareness to this issue. If you do have the means to donate more, a button after touching the post allows you to send as much as you want to the cause. Furthermore, the Palestine Child Relief Fund is also raising money which you can access on Instagram as well on the handle, @pcrf.

Secondly, @sheeekster on Instagram has a post that allows you to click links (they’re safe) to send auto-emails towards specific causes that let political representatives know people’s opinions on what’s occurring against Palestinians. This is perfect for those who don’t know how to word emails while letting their representatives be informed of how they’re feeling.

Lastly, continuing to get educated about this crisis, currently and historically, is imperative. According to a student here at Santaluces, Samira Afrin, a lot of Palestinians would rather people be more educated about these issues rather than donations, though they can still help, due to all of the blockades happening. Even though it may not seem like much, educating yourself about this can give you understanding and insight to be aware of what’s going on in this world. It may get overwhelming and misleading, so it’s okay to take a break from time to time, but being knowledgeable about these things from the right sources like the Associated Press is important since it’s our reality. It simply can’t be ignored. Just because it is happening on the other side of the world, for some, doesn’t mean it’s irrelevant. I’d also like to add that if you believe in prayer, you can always pray about this.

Additionally, I urge everyone to not spread hate towards any Jews, Israelis, or Palestinians as that is not going to solve anything. It will simply be a repeat of what occured in history with Arabs after 9/11 or German immigrants during WW2. Putting more fuel to the fire isn’t going to help this situation get any better. So respect people’s ethnic and religious backgrounds and put more of the blame towards those who are actually committing these horrific acts.

Overall, remember that any effort can go a long way. You don’t have to feel mentally burdened about these things as it’s not your responsibility to solve this. The best thing to do is accurately spread the word about what’s unfortunately occurring and contribute the best you can.