Are You Interested in Dual Enrollment?

Stephanie Ballesteros, Staff Writer

What is Dual Enrollment?

Dual Enrollment is literally FREE COLLEGE! You are still enrolled as a Santaluces Chief, however, you take actual college classes while earning both a high school and college credit. Everything is free. The tuition, registration, and even the textbooks. The downfall is that it has strict requirements, and only sophomores and above can register for Dual Enrollment.

What are the Requirements?

Registering for Dual Enrollment is a long stressful process, but it’s worth it. The requirements are: having a GPA of 3.0 or higher upon registration and college-ready test scores (ACT, SAT, PERT). Although it doesn’t sound as much, there is more to the process and it is best to visit your guidance counselor to answer any questions.

What’s the Process?

Many students believe that they must have the college-ready scores before they are able to move on with the registration; this is false. Yes, you do need the scores, however, you can complete other tasks before you obtain these scores.

First, you’re going to want to make a PantherWeb account. For this, you must go to Palm Beach State College’s homepage and register as a high school/dual enrollment student.  Upon registration, your PantherWeb student ID and password will be given to you. Make sure to take note of this information since counselors and parents are unable to pull out this information. Once you have an account, you’re going to have to sign up for a MANDATORY advising session. This must be done in advance since they have a limit and tend to fill up fast. This can be done before even having your college-ready scores. After taking the session, having the appropriate test scores will be to your best benefit. But, a registration form and a signed parent permission form will have to be turned into Ms. Neer. Both forms can be picked up at her office. Note that after completing the registration, it will be your responsibility to personally hand to the admission department at PBSC.

Although it’s a very long process, if you know you’re capable of taking college classes, go for it. It will definitely give you a sense of how it’s going to be when you graduate and go away to college. If you are interested, see Ms. Neer right away. The registration window for the summer term is March 19, and for the fall term, it’s April 24. You don’t want to leave it until last minute.