• Homecoming week- Oct. 10/15

The Medical Academy

Tiffany Stavrakas and Jordan Foldy

This year is our schools first year having a medical academy. This particular medical academy is based around a pharmaceutical program.

This class teaches you some important things about your body, such as how to properly pick up heavy items. Every medical class teaches you major things about your body and how it functions.

The teacher that runs this new program is Ms. Franco, she’s a retired medical academy teacher from Park Vista. ┬áThe Medical Administrator Dr. Benavente asked her if she would help instruct our medical academy here at santaluces.

This program currently has 53 students enrolled. In order to meet the requirements for this class you must meet a 3.0 GPA, no discipline of misconduct on record, and have passed the FSA reading. Being in this academy helps students become exposed to clinical experiences, classroom medical instruction, and partner organizations to give them basic knowledge of health care as well as certifications as real health care providers prior to graduation.

One of the major events this academy is going to be holding is a project to present a comprehensive health fair at our school in the gymnasium, on March 15, 2018. This will be an all day event from 7:30am until 11:00am and 12:00pm to 14:30(2:30pm). Teachers will bring their students to the event in 10-15 increments to allow students to be involved in the displays and activities that are set up. As the medical academy grows, more events to benefit the overall student bodying faculty will take place. Representatives from Palm Beach County community health organizations, health education/health services organizations, hospitals, colleges and universities, non-profits, and for-profits have committed to attend offering a more comprehensive and successful event.

The medical academy is expected to grow dramatically over the next few years, bringing new opportunities to Santaluces High School.

About the Writers
Tiffany Stavrakas, Staff Writer
Hi, I’m Tiffany. I am junior in the class of 2019. During my first year in newspaper I would like to further my writing skills and become more well rounded. Here at Santaluces I participate in various activities such as: softball, JROTC raider team, JROTC rifle team, JROTC drill, and JROTC color guard. This year...
Jordan Foldy, Staff Writer
Hello, I’m Jordan. I am a first year journalism student, in my sophomore year of high school. I have dedicated my life to softball. I started playing in the beginning of 5th grade, but took a year long break because my softball coach quit and I had no team, but I started playing again in...