• Homecoming week- Oct. 10/15

Green Team: Making a Difference

Eric Hernandez

Eric Hernandez

Ethan Mansdorf, Photo Editor

The Santaluces Criminal Justice Academy in collaboration with the Be the Change Club have formed the SHS Green Team that has been striving to make positive differences in the school’s ecosystem since the Fall.

“Our Green Team is a student-led partnership between our Criminal Justice Academy, Be the Change Club, Administration, and the Cafeteria,” said Green Team organizer Ms. Case-Sweeney. “Along the way, we have learned just how involved our school organizations, classrooms, and community are on a regular basis with the environment, sustainability, education, and community.”

The team has strong roots in the core values of recycling and school sustainability. Every Monday after school, the staff is asked to put out all their recycling bins. The school’s plastic and paper recycling is taken care of properly by Criminal Justice Academy members. Green Team has also initiated a butterfly garden in the school courtyard. The club planted milkweed to attract more butterflies and raised money to buy the milkweeds through the sale of butterfly telegrams on Valentine’s Day.

“Our community involvement has grown since we started,” said club organizer Officer White. “We have Palm Beach County Sheriffs Office helping us in creating fundraisers and activities for the community.”

The cafeteria employees have also helped the team with food donations, which has expanded the Green Team’s partnership with Feeding South Florida, a food bank that will be participating in their efforts the grow and feed the community. The team has also made efforts in raising the consciousness of students and staff. For example, every day, the unwanted breakfast foods are distributed to other students in need.

And according to the team, Whole Foods has also just given the Green Team a grant of $2,000 that will be put towards the development of courtyard gardens and overall growth.

About the Writer
Ethan Mansdorf, Photo Editor
Hi, I’m Ethan. For the past three years I have been roaming the halls of this school discovering the hidden stories and uncovering the extravagant and individual personalities of its students. As Photo Editor for the Tribe, I plan on making sure every major event in this school and community gets told with the best...
1 Comment

One Response to “Green Team: Making a Difference”

1. Mrs. Pirchio on March 9th, 2018 10:51 am

Awesome job Green Team! Happy to see you guys carrying on our “Green School” tradition!

• Green Team: Making a Difference

Campus Life

Education Rocks: Kids Helping Kids

• Green Team: Making a Difference

Campus Life

National Honor Society Induction

• Green Team: Making a Difference

Campus Life

Big Money: Senior Year

• Green Team: Making a Difference

Campus Life

Seniors: Make it in the Yearbook

• Campus Life

Overcoming the Stress of College Essays

• Green Team: Making a Difference

Campus Life

Club Rush

• Green Team: Making a Difference

Campus Life

Key Club: Unlocking Volunteer Opportunities

• Green Team: Making a Difference

Campus Life

Meet Mr. Gonzales

• Green Team: Making a Difference

Campus Life

Seniors Win the Stick

• Green Team: Making a Difference

Campus Life

Meet Dr. Snyder

Green Team: Making a Difference