Meet The Teacher: Ms. Ellington

Ms. Ellington performs on stage

Ms. Ellington

Ms. Ellington performs on stage

Shaina Francis, Staff Writer

To put on a successful show, the director is one of the most important key pieces. With our school drama department, Ms. Ellington is the glue that keeps the show running. Ms. Ellington is extremely passionate about her job and an inspiration to many students who want to pursue a career in theatre.

How long have you been involved with theatre?

“I have been performing since I was 3 years old, so for over 25 years.  I have worked professionally in theater and have also been in a few films including Rock of Ages.”

What grew your passion for performing?

“My mother wanted a little ballerina, but I found my calling in tap dancing and music. After that, my true passion for theatre came from seeing live performances as a child and hearing the applause the performers got at the end of the shows. When I did my first theatrical performance at the age of 5, I understood why actors did what they did. I have been fascinated and in love with musical theatre ever since.”

What made you want to teach?

“After 10 years in the business world, I wanted to change to profession that would allow me to give back to the community. Teaching was the logical choice. 5 years later and I love passing my love and knowledge of theatre to the students. Fun Fact…the arts is extremely important to education and it is proven that people who study the arts are more well-rounded and more proficient in reading, math, and writing.”

Besides performing, what are your hobbies outside of school?

“I am extremely active with the Junior League of the Palm Beaches, an organization of women that promotes voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. I currently serve as the Public Relations Chairman and host of their monthly podcast “Java with Junior League”. I also am an avid fan of all things Disney and active with runDisney and their races. Last year I completed the Dopey Challenge, 48.6 miles over 4 days of running. I am currently a Perfect Dark Side runner at Disney, meaning I have done every Star Wars Dark Side race that Disney has offered since the beginning.”

What’s some advice for a student who wants to study theatre?

“There are so many aspects of theatre one can be a part of. The theatre is a business. It is not just performing. There is marketing/publicity/advertising, costume/fashion design, technical positions working in construction, design, and engineering. Theatre is a tough business, but it can be really fulfilling.”