Athlete Profile: Dario Gomez

Opal Polly

Dario Gomez plays for Palm Beach United, a soccer club based in South Florida.

Karen Portillo, Staff Writer

Dario Gomez is no stranger to the students here at Santaluces. Whether it be for being a part of the soccer team who won districts last year or because he has a twin, Dario is known by many people. Playing ever since he was four years old, Dario is in his second year on the varsity soccer team.

Wearing #2 on his jersey at school, Dario also plays for Palm Beach United. Being a first-timer in the academy, they play ECNL which is Elite Clubs Nationals League. Both on the school and club’s field, Gomez plays as a striker, which means he has the responsibility of scoring the goals.

Reminiscing about their win at districts last year, Gomez stated, “It was crazy winning last year. It felt good making history for the first time and sharing a happy moment with the team. It’s a memory I will never forget.”

So far this season, the team has won two out of the five games. When asked about the team’s bond this year, Dario mentioned, “This year the team has a lot of young players. We didn’t start off good this season because everything seems new. We have a new coach and new players, so because the team is new, the bond is new as well.”

When he is not at school or playing soccer, Gomez enjoys going to parties and spending time with his family. Thinking about his future, Gomez hopes to attend the University of Central Florida and continue playing soccer for them. As for his major, Dario wants to focus on criminal justice, but dreams of becoming a professional soccer player if he gets scouted.