Jessica Perez: A Musical Pathfinder

Karen Portillo

Jessica Perez enjoys playing the violin and participating in the Criminal Justice Academy.

Karen Portillo, Staff Writer

Jessica Perez is a well-respected and dedicated student here at Santaluces. In school, Perez participates in the Criminal Justice Honor Guard team, Key Club, and soccer. Playing as the forward and right defender, Jessica has been a part of the varsity team since her junior year. During her free time, Perez enjoys playing the violin, playing soccer with her younger brother, walking her dog Shadow, and helping her parents out in their business. Outside of school, Jessica is a member of the SDA Pathfinders Club. She has participated in the club as a student and now as a counselor for two years.

Through her passion and devotion towards playing the violin, Perez was recently nominated as the Musical and Instrumental candidate for the Pathfinders awards. “I still cannot believe I was chosen to represent this category for my school. It’s a crazy feeling, but I’m very grateful to have been given this opportunity,” stated Jessica. Coming from a musical family, Perez has been playing the violin for about ten years. “My dad plays the guitar, so he passed the love of the music down to my sister and I. She plays the piano, but I chose to play the violin because I love the unique sound it has to it,” she mentioned.

Having been in the Criminal Justice Academy since her freshman year, Jessica has learned to love the program and the people in it. She recalls, “The best thing about being in CJ is that we work together as a team. Essentially, we’re all a big family. We go to many events and field trips learning about the law enforcement field. I would recommend it because you can learn a lot about discipline, leadership, and being able to work as a team.”

After graduation, Perez will attend Palm Beach State College and major in Criminology. She hopes to become a homicide detective and be a well-rounded member of the law enforcement agency.