Punchline #1

Punchline #1 cover art by Yasmine Putri shows Punchline (right) and her “former” self Alexis Kaye (left) staring at each other through a mirror.

Maliha Rahman, Staff Writer

Punchline is a new character in the DC Comics Universe, and she has become quite popular among fans. Donning a purple and black outfit with scary clown makeup, she is the Joker’s new partner bringing terror to Gothamites. 

Alexis Kaye was an average college student when she went on a field trip with her classmates to a news studio. Unknowingly, the Joker had a plan to kill the anchors and staff in the studio when Alexis and her classmates entered. The Joker faced a news camera onto Alexis and forced her to read a message of fear to Gotham City as live news. Batman jumped in from the ceiling to stop the Joker and his evil plan. 

Instead of fearing the Joker after her encounter, she saw him as a symbol of hope for Gotham. She became obsessed with him and even began a podcast chronicling all of his plans to a loyal audience. 

In order to catch Joker’s attention, she made her own version of Joker toxin and began experimenting with her new formula on different people in Gotham; this was somewhat of a fail because her toxin did not cause the victims to laugh hysterically like the original toxin. 

The Joker took notice of her one night and became attached to her fierce attitude and drive to cause chaos; she officially began her career as the Joker’s new partner: Punchline. 

Punchline #1 is a longer issue than usual, with 48 pages of art by Mirka Andolfo, coloring by Romulo Fajardo Jr., and lettering by Gabriela Downie. This issue has over 50 different variant covers with multiple artists on their own take of the villain. The main cover is drawn by Yasmine Putri who captured Alexis Kaye and her evil identity as Punchline, staring at each through a mirror.

James Tynion IV and Sam Johns contributed to writing this issue. They did a fantastic job with this issue and I look forward to them continuing their run with this series. 

This issue follows the trial of Punchline after she is tried for her crimes as the Joker’s partner. Harper Row, also known as Bluebird, and her brother Cullen Row are also featured in this issue 

The public is divided: is she a beacon of hope or another terrifying murderer? 

Find out what happens next here!