Coach Dixon Wins Coach of the Year

Alan McGonigle, Sports Editor

Coach Dixon, who has been head coach of the Santaluces Varsity Basketball team for six years was named the Conference Coach of the Year by the Palm Beach Post.

This year, Dixon led the Chiefs to a 20-6 record and established his squad as one of the most solid teams in the county. Dixon, also had three players named to the All-Conference first and second team in Sean Dinkins, Job Jean-Baptiste, and Shaun O’Connor.

Coach Dixon chimed in on his accolade.

“It feels good, it wasn’t just me it was a team effort,” said Dixon. “My whole coaching staff: Bryson Smith, Steven David, and everyone who helped out, most of all to the players.”

The six-year coach led Seniors Job Jean-Baptiste, Sean Dinkins, Mark Sajous, and Shaun O’Connor, who brought him a district title. The Chiefs’ season ended with a defeat against last year’s state champions, Wellington High School.

But that did not bring them down.

The margin of improvement was colossal from last year. The Chiefs looked like they were in a bad position coming into this season. But, the Chiefs put in work and bought into coach Dixon’s message. Together, they turned a 12-13 team into a 20-6 team that won a district title.

Dixon’s players, especially Mark Sajous, praised him for his big accomplishment and improvement from last year.

“It was well deserved,” said Sajous. “Dixon worked years on becoming coach of the year; I am glad I was a part of his success.”