Crusaders Raid Chiefs

Matthew Leto, Sports Editor

The Chiefs and the Crusaders both came into Friday night 0-1, looking to improve to 1-1. The Crusaders attacked early and the Chiefs fell behind through two fumbles and a few penalties. The Crusaders took home the victory 45-6.

The Chiefs began the game with the ball, but turned the ball over and gave the Crusaders good field position deep into Chief territory. The Crusaders took advantage of the fumble and the three and out to take a commanding 10-0 lead. The Chiefs responded quickly with an insane touchdown from sophomore Arthur Gray Jr to senior Kendyl Williams, making he score 10-6. However, the Crusaders were able to respond quickly making the game 17-6 a the first quarter expired.

The Chiefs played steady in the second quarter offensively, but a few miscues and penalties held the Chiefs from driving down the field. Senior Raymone Bailey had a spectacular second quarter tackling everyone in sight. The Chiefs only surrendered one touchdown in the second quarter, trailing the Crusaders 25-6.

Coming out of halftime, the Chiefs changed the offensive formation into a spread offense. The spread offense featured both Arthur Gray Jr and Kendyl Williams under center. However, the Crusaders defense was just unstoppable, the Chiefs allowed two more touchdowns in the third quarter, trailing 38-6 heading into the 4th quarter.

The Chiefs could not get a rhythm on offense while the Crusaders defense were firing on all cylinders. The Crusaders were able to score one more touchdown to end the game 45-6.

The Chiefs will look to redeem themselves and capture their first victory at the homecoming game against Olympic Heights, September 9th.