Chiefs Reverse Losing Streak, Defeat West Boca 19-0

Kevin Fielder, Staff Writer

If the common saying goes defense wins champions but offense wins games, consider Santaluces’ 19-0 win over West Boca.

Throughout the game, the Chiefs played shutdown defense and forced West Boca quarterback Max Mazur into multiple hurry-ups and at least half a dozen sacks. Just the week before, the Chiefs’ defense allowed minus-3 yards in the first half to Forest Hill.

Defense built the foundations,” linebacker and Senior George Limage explained. “Both sides need improvement and we plan on doing that with each practice.”

Among the players giving West Boca issues on defense was linebacker and senior Andy St. Hillaire, who blocked a punt to begin the game and was all over the place on the defensive side of the ball.

The Chiefs began the scoring early in the first quarter on a Sophomore Brian Coe 11-yard run, giving the Chiefs a 6-0 lead following a failed conversion.

In the second quarter, the Chiefs would extend the lead to 12 following a quarterback keeper from Senior Justin Raymonvil on the goal line.

In the second half, the Chiefs began to rely on their defense. While the offense struggled to get anything going in the beginning of the half, the defense forced multiple poor throws and the Bulls’ offense failed to pass midfield despite beginning to throw the ball more often.

In the 4th quarter, the Chiefs would seal the game on a 21-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Senior Tyler Kintz to wide receiver and Junior Lawrence Armstead, extending the Chiefs lead to 19-0 following the extra point.

“Defense was locking them down again,” Senior and tight end Tony McFadden said after the game.

Senior defensive end Angerlyns Julceus was named the MVP for the Chiefs, registering three sacks throughout the game.

The Chiefs will open up 10-8A district play on the road against John I. Leonard Friday, which is 0-2 to begin the season.