Walking with a Purpose

Shuruq Daas

People walk down a trail in support of the Buddy Walk.

Mishka Brice, Editor-in-Chief

Local middle school and high school students rallied together on a sunny Sunday morning to bring awareness to Down Syndrome at the National Down Syndrome Society’s 20th annual, Buddy Walk.

National Honor Society, National Art Honor Society, and Key Club members also attended the event and teamed up to represent Santaluces, raising $185 for the cause.

“I was very proud of our turn out today- our biggest group for the Buddy Walk so far,” said Key Club adviser, Mrs. Finn. “I think that the money we raised is awesome. I’m most excited for next year, we have some great ideas on how to grow our team and raise more money for this great cause.”

The 30 minute walk commenced at John Prince Park at 9:15 a.m. People could be seen walking with banners of children they knew with Down Syndrome or the name of the school supporting the cause. The walk was not only limited to people, dogs and puppies joined their partners in crime, too.

Once it ended, the rest of the day was open to games, food, and fun. Children of all ages enjoyed different activities and games such as rock climbing, bounce houses, and a dunk tank. A DJ booth also livened up the day with some great beats to get people on the dance floor moving.

“I thought it was a lot of fun,” said NHS adviser, Mrs. Weber. “I felt like we were really making a difference in helping the Down Syndrome organization. It directly impacts us because we have a number of Down Syndrome students at our school; it was a great way to help show support for them.”