Pope Francis Comes to America

MCT Campus

U.S. President Barack Obama greets His Holiness Pope Francis on his arrival at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland on Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2015. The Pope is making his first trip to the United States on a three-city, five-day tour that will include Washington, D.C., New York and Philadelphia. (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

Bonnie Praphatphong, Staff Writer

Pope Francis made his first official trip to the United States on Wednesday Sept., 23. President Obama was the first to greet him. He was later met by a crowd of cheers including many followers of the Catholic Church.

This trip is considered to be a very historic moment between the leader of the Catholic Church and the leader of the free world.  Pope Francis will be only the fourth Pope to visit the United States, the last being Pope Benedict XVI.

The Pope addressed Congress Thursday where he talked about immigration, climate change, abortion, the death penalty and the importance of the family. He met with poor people and spoke to the General Assembly of  the United Nations on Friday. He is scheduled to visit Philadelphia before he returns to Rome.