Dress Code Petition: Big Changes to Come?

Junior+Jennifer+Saint+Fleur+holds+the+petition++she+helped+start+to+change+the+current+dress+code.+

Sarah Winters

Junior Jennifer Saint Fleur holds the petition she helped start to change the current dress code.

Sarah Winters, Staff Writer

In recent days, many students have heard of the ‘Santaluces Dress Code Petition’  that has been sweeping student social media accounts. This petition is trying to change the current dress code to a BBNG (Breasts, Butts, Nipples, Genitals) dress code, which allows students to wear ripped jeans, crop tops, and off the shoulder tops, as long as they do not show breasts, butts, nipples, or genitals.

Jennifer Saint Fleur, one of the four Juniors who started the petition, said they need a total of 260 student signatures and 260 parent signatures before they can take any action. In an informal conversation with the group, Ms. Mawali’s advice to them was if they wanted to be taken seriously the group would need to get at least 500 signatures.

“The current dress code mainly targets females,” said Saint Fleur. “But the new dress code will be fair for both males and females.”

Once they reach their goal, the group plans to present their case to Principal Robinson and the School Board in order for the dress code to change. The group has collected hundreds of student, teacher, and parent signatures so far and have scheduled a meeting with Principal Robinson.

The petition states: “By signing this petition students will agree to help change the dress code policy from certain clothing, to being able to wear whatever they want to make them feel comfortable, equal, and to better express themselves.”

The idea was inspired by an article students received in their AICE Global Perspectives class that discusses the way dress codes target female students and people of color specifically. 

The article, published on Vox.com and written by Nadra Nittle states: “We have seen dress code problems pop up all around the country. School administrators disproportionately enforce dress codes against girls and subgroups of girls – girls of color, gender non-conforming girls, trans girls, girls with curvier body types.”

The Assistant Principal on campus who is most associated with dress code is Ms. Mawali, and she said she is remaining neutral on the issue. Her daughter is one of the four juniors collecting signatures. Ms. Mawali strongly feels that this petition will definitely get the attention of our principal.

“There is a chance the dress code could change, but there is a process that must take place before a change like this is made,” said Ms. Mawali.

The BBNG policy described in the petition is based off of the Oregon NOW policy described in the Nittle article. The president of Oregon NOW, Lisa Frack, told Nittle, “You have to cover your parts…Students can wear short clothing, leggings, and tank tops – all garments that have been the source of school dress code conflicts.” According to the article, the Oregon NOW Policy has reportedly shown considerable positive progress thus far on the students and teachers alike. 

Seniors may be disappointed that the likelihood of this idea becoming a reality before the next school year is slim to none because of the lengthy process involved in a school-wide dress code change. 

“I think it’s cool that they are standing up for what they believe in,” said Senior Fiorela Narvez. The four juniors – Jennifer Saint Fleur, Beyonce Wiles, N’Khaya Mawali, and Kayla Despagne – are collecting signatures before school and during both lunches.