Athlete Profile: Miheshia Sarfowaa-Amponsah

DJ
Miheshia Sarfowaa-Amponsah posing in her cheer outfit.

Recently, I was given the opportunity to interview a student on the school Varsity Cheer team: Miheshia Sarfowaa-Amponsah, also known as Mimi.

Miheshia is a Junior, student-athlete here at Santaluces High School. She is a cheerleader and has been cheering since 7th grade. Her passion began when she realized she had potential for the sport.

When cheering, it makes her feel in the zone, like it’s the only thing going on at the moment. When she joined cheer, it was a new experience for her. However, over time she began to love it and made it the most important thing in life.

She says, “Freshman year, I started on the JV Cheer team and I made my way up to Varsity by working hard to get there. I was scared to even try out for high school cheer but my mom was the one to motivate me and she was my biggest supporter.”

She has made many memories while being on the team, her favorite would have to be cheering at the games and getting hyped. She loves team bonding, cheer battles, and cheer games with the other teams and thinks of her teammates and coach as a second family.

Miheshia’s favorite part about cheer is meeting new people, creating new bonds with her cheer sisters, and having fun. She also enjoys learning new cheers and even helps create and teach some cheers too. Other than learning cheers, she also learned about accountability, responsibility, and teamwork while being on the team.

Her goal in the future is to go to Florida International University and major in either criminal justice or medicine while continuing her cheer journey.

If she had one piece of advice to any athletic student, then it would be to “Always keep options open to opportunities, even if they aren’t your first choice.”

We are looking forward to seeing Miheshia make it to her goal!