Behind the Scenes of Santaluces’ Annual Haunted House

Basia Vil
Mr. Seenath’s classroom being used for the Makeup Artist Station

You’ve most likely already heard about Santaluces’ Annual Haunted House hosted here at the school or maybe you even attended it. But I’m here to give you a sneak peek of behind the scenes and what happens during the hours of work we volunteer to put in to make it successful. This year is my second round of participating and volunteering during the haunted house and it’s way easier the second time around. Having to stay at school from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. is very tiring but personally, I’d do it all over again. The clubs that are involved in the event usually plan months ahead to prepare for an event that is around five hours. The main clubs that participate in it are the Science National Honors Society (SNHS) and National Honors Society (NHS), we sign up for specific jobs and stations we’ll be doing before or during the event.

I was a makeup artist. Being a makeup artist is a challenging role because of the number of actors that you must get to before 6:00 p.m. due to them having to be in their positions for the haunted house. It gets very chaotic, but getting creative with the makeup looks and the special effects on the spot is and I couldn’t emphasize this enough, so fun and lively. Seeing everything come to life was such an enjoyable experience.

Everyone is scrambling to put curtains down, tuck desks away into other classrooms, and get outfits ready before the time is up. There were a few hiccups during the process of setting up but the most important thing that we consistently had to do was adapt and find another way to make it happen. And we did exactly that! The night turned out to be extremely successful!