Metal Detectors Are Here to Stay

J’Nai Davis
Morning routine with the metal detectors.

Santaluces High School has officially been added to the list of schools in the Palm Beach School District to have metal detectors. It has been a month into this routine. There are metal detectors at the gate of the bus/car loop and at the main entrance. The procedure has been going better than expected. Many people said that it may slow down the morning and make students late, but it has been going smoothly in my opinion. Although, there are still many different thoughts about this new change.

Metal detectors are primarily used for security purposes to detect the presence of metal objects and weapons, such as, guns or knives. Our school hasn’t had much issues with threats. When asked about our schools past and whether or not metal detectors would be beneficial, students said, “With our schools background, I feel that metal detectors are not a necessity but will help the overall well being of our school”.

However, some students feel that the detectors are an amazing addition to the Santaluces and look forward to the safety they bring, “I feel like it is a good thing to have metal detectors because it helps us, students, feel more safe in the school environment. I believe it is a good way to keep contraband out,” Delilah Linan stated. Another student says, “I go to school a little bit earlier so I don’t have to wait a while to enter the school because of the metal detectors. I also do this because I want to have enough time to socialize and eat breakfast.”

Nevertheless, with all good things, come cons. At our school, we are required to put our hands over our head, and soon we will also have to scan our ID’s to enter. Junior, Myles Morris, expressed, “I really enjoy coming to school school, and I look forward to learning more everyday, but recently I have been feeling like an inmate, coming to school isn’t as enjoyable as it once was. I lowkey feel miserable because the admin make me hold my computer over the metal detectors while I walk through, it makes me feel like I am in jail.”