How To Improve Your Reading SAT Scores

Image from pixino.com

Zion Frost, Staff Writer

For 9th and 10th graders this year, the upcoming SAT can tend to be a stressful subject matter and not everyone may know how to prepare for this huge test in advance. Since the SAT is a timed test, in order to answer every question in time the student must be able to read quickly and understand the content. Comprehension as well as quickly scanning every word are both significant factors of the reading portions of the SAT test. Here are some ways you can start preparing yourself:

1. Skim Passages

As a student, it is vital to note that the questions are the most significant part of this portion of the SAT so if you are having trouble with a question then it is best to move on and answer all the questions that come to you the fastest. Another important thing to remember is that there is no penalty for wrong answers but it is still to your benefit to get as many correct answers as you possibly can. Skim through the passages so you’ll have enough time to take enough time reading through each question. While skimming through the passage, make quick side notes of what you think might be important. If you read over the questions in the beginning, chances are you’ll come across an answer while reading.

2. Always Select An Answer

It is important to remember the strict scoring of SAT. Since the reading SAT is divided into two sections which are both reading and writing it is best to practice reading and writing in a specific amount of time.  Most likely, you will be given paper to plan out what you’re going to say and it is very important to do so. Even though it probably seems like a waste of time, a reference of what to do next will help you write faster and save time when you’d usually be thinking about how to word your next paragraph. Both sections count just as much so don’t think that by doing worst on one section than the other you will be covered because that isn’t how the SAT is scored.

3. Get Enough Rest

Chances are, you’ve probably heard this statement repeated by your teachers for some big test throughout your school career but getting enough sleep will pay off. However, it is not only important to get to bed early on the night of the SAT. A week in advance, setting a sleep schedule is vital to this system. According to natonwidechildrens.org, the average teenager is required to get between 9 and 9 ½ hours of sleep each night, however most only get between 7 and 7 ¼. Once you have a set time to fall asleep each night,  it will be easier to fall asleep on the night of the SAT. When taking the SAT, the setting will most likely be a a quiet classroom which is enough to make most students feel sleepy especially with the built up stress and pressure they had been experiencing. No matter how much you’ve practiced and prepared, your health is just as important as you mental capabilities. Instead of spending all night studying for the SAT, study the evening before the night of the SAT, so you’ll feel more prepared. Studying will only benefit you if you’re awake and focused.