Gold Coast Supports and Empowers Parents

Do you or someone you know have a friend or family member with Down syndrome? The Gold Coast Down Syndrome Organization improves the lives of people with Down syndrome by spreading knowledge and promoting high expectations as well as acceptance of people with Down syndrome. In 1980, a woman named Gail Marino founded the Gold Coast with the intention of helping people with Down syndrome through a variety of programs. Gold Coast believes that everyone, including those with disabilities, has the right to participate in all parts of society. According to the Gold Coast’s mission statement, they intend “to enhance the lives of children and adults with Down syndrome through education, advocacy, and family support.” They offer resources, a strong and loving community, and support that helps children with Down syndrome so that they reach their full social and learning potential.

We asked one of our very own Santaluces teachers, Mrs. Mangone, about her family’s experience with Gold Coast. Mrs. Mangone said, “Gold Coast helped me when I found out that my newborn baby, my son Sal, had Down syndrome. I was scared, and I didn’t know how I could be the best parent to him. Gold Coast helped me find therapists and programs to support me, and then as Sal has grown older, he’s made a lot of friends through the organization.” As Mrs. Mangone said, Gold Coast offers many programs and resources such as Exceptional Educators Program, Adult Enrichment Program, and Family Educational Program.

The Downright Extraordinary Walk For Down Syndrome is one of the Gold Coast Down Syndrome Organization’s most popular programs, which brings 2,000 people to raise money and awareness about Down syndrome. This year, 2023, will mark the 29th year of walking for Down syndrome. Mrs. Mangone further discusses what the annual walk is about. She said, “Gold Coast is having its annual walk to raise awareness and money for people with Down syndrome. Our walk is on October 22nd, and Santaluces Best Buddies [had] organized a walk team. You can enter for $10 a person. You get a t-shirt and free breakfast, and it’s a really fun day with music and bounce houses, and it’s at John Prince Park on October 22nd.” If you can, you should come join and support the Gold Coast Down Syndrome Organization in its annual walk.

For any further questions contact Mrs. Mangone (for Santaluces students and teachers), or visit Gold Coast’s site here.

View Comments (1)