Meet The Teacher: Mrs. Johnson

Kate Wilks
Ms. Johnson, a beloved teacher at Santaluces.

Would you believe that some of our favorite teachers had no intention of teaching?

Meet Mrs.Johnson, an exceptional teacher here at Santaluces High School. While in school, she never had the thought of becoming a teacher.  She originally majored in psychology and wanted to be a physiatrist for kids. I think this is where Mrs. Johnson gets some of her amazing qualities. If you’ve ever had Mrs. Johnson, you would know that she is easy to talk to, a great listener, and makes her students feel safe and secure. She structures her class so that students grow and excel. According to Mrs. Johnson, “My student’s successes are extremely important to me. I would do anything I can to help them reach their full potential.”

While interviewing Mrs.Johnson I asked her what made her come into the classroom. She talked about how she certainly knew that she wanted to work with kids but she didn’t know in what capacity. She stumbled into substitute teaching and fell in love.

Mrs.Johnson expressed how she fell in love with the classroom setting and the children as a whole. She doesn’t just see her job as a teacher but as an advocate. Ms. Johnson says, “I also like the part in some sense I am their advocate. When they feel like they didn’t really have a voice, I could help to give them one and help them to be more comfortable with the setting of being amongst other kids.”

After subbing in the early 2000s and getting comfortable with the classroom setting, Ms. Johnson was 0ffered a job and became a Certified Instructional Teacher. Something about Ms.Johnson that nobody would know about her is that she loves cars. Ms.Johnson adds, “I love cars and if I had my way, I would be a race car driver too.”