Save The Date!
  • Graduation: 05/14
  • No School: 05/27
  • End of 4th Quarter: 05/30

Santaluces’s Annual Valentine’s Day Carnival

Marline Accelon
SGA handing out tickets for students to enter.

Starting last year, Santaluces’s SGA hosts a carnival during lunch on Valentine’s Day. It’s full of games, Valentine-related activities, and delicious treats.

When asking longtime Student Government member, Christopher Molina, he gave the background perspective to the carnival. As a Senior, he spoke about how fun it is to do events like this, but because so many of the former members have graduated many of the underclassmen are still learning the ropes. It can be difficult to be on the same page, especially because this is only the second year of the Valentine’s Carnival. Despite the minor trials and tribulations, as he put it, it is definitely worth it for both the school and SGA. 

Then we asked carnival goer, Aliyah Alwood, for her thoughts on the whole affair and she only had positive words. She thought the layout was great and liked how colorful the attractions were. It was also deemed an improvement from last year; everything was placed more openly which made moving around the courtyard easier. 

Both interviewees agreed that the carnival should be done next year. Events such as these are important for the student culture at our school; they provide a fun break in the day with wholesome and fun celebrations. It invites healthy and safe school spirit that is desperately needed for teenagers, especially in an era where mental health discussions are so important. 

All in all, this Valentine’s Day Carnival was a blast and I hope that it becomes a tradition from here on out!