Back To School Beats

Angelica Dameus, Staff Writer

From longer days and sleeping ’til noon, to early mornings and homework that lasts a lifetime. It’s that time of year, ladies and gents. However, just because you have to rise before the sun for the next nine months doesn’t mean your days are doomed. Research shows that you can almost literally turn your frown upside-down just by listening to music.

Scientists at the University of Missouri have found that listening to upbeat music can change your mood.

“Our work provides support for what people already do–listen to music to improve their moods,” said Yuna Ferguson, author of The Journal of Positive Psychology. “Although pursuing personal happiness may be thought of as a self-centered venture, research suggests that happiness relates to a higher probability of socially beneficial behavior, better physical health, higher income, and greater relationship satisfaction.”

The effects of music on our moods can be long-lasting; you can boost your overall happiness with music in just two weeks. There’s even a whole field of therapy for it.

“Well, I knew classical music can make you think, so yeah, I could see that actually working,” said Ainsley Fiorito, a freshman here at Santaluces. “I think music is a great way to make yourself feel better. I’ll definitely listen to music a lot more often now.”

Sophomore Elizabeth Marcelus was impressed with the idea of mood music.

“I had no idea,” said Marcelus. “That actually sounds really cool.”

Blast them when you’re getting ready or hum along on the way home: here are some songs to make going back to school pretty cool.

1. Clean Bandit- Rather Be
  2. Bad Bad Hats- It Hurts
  3. Echosmith- Cool Kids
  4. Lorde- The Love Club
  5. Ellie Goulding- Anything Could Happen
  6. Pharrell Williams- Come Get It Bae
  7. Coldplay- Every Teardrop I s A Waterfall
  8. Imagine Dragons- On Top Of The World
  9. Becky G- Shower
  10. Two Door Cinema Club- Something Good Can Work
  11. Paramore- Ain’t It Fun
  12. Taylor Swift- Shake It Off
  13. Vampire Weekend