• Open House is Tuesday, 10/3 @ 6:00

An Alien Comes to ‘Life’

lifemovie.com
lifemovie.com

lifemovie.com

lifemovie.com

Viri Reyes, Staff Writer

I’m that friend that will bore you with my fascination with space and about how I hope during our lifetime we find life outside of Earth. With me being the biggest space enthusiast I know, you can imagine just how excited I got when I heard there was a movie about astronauts studying the first sign of other life on Mars; a living cell in space. The whole concept of this movie left me so amazed because we could find ourselves in an actual scenario similar to this in our near future.

Ryan Reynolds, Jake Gyllenhaal, Ariyon Bakare, Rebecca Ferguson, and Hiroyuki Sanada star as the five astronauts who study the single cell. Since Ryan Reynolds plays the hilarious Deadpool, it was really hard for me to take him serious as an astronaut. Nevertheless, Reynolds does add some needed humor to a serious movie, creating a good balance. Bakare is the one that grows a connection with the cell and figures out the perfect levels of oxygen and Carbon Dioxide that allow the cell to prosper and grow in strength. What happens after that is really insane, and is something you have to see for yourself.

This movie was not what I had expected it to be. I expected a movie about a successful run at studying life outside of space. That is of course, not what I got. Instead, I got a sci-fy/ horror movie that really made me feel freaked out at times. Some scenes in the movie are a little creepy and it makes me a little less eager to find out what’s really out there. Even though my anxiety was spiked all the way with this movie, it was worth watching because I doubt in my life time we will discover extraterrestrial beings and this movie allowed for me to see a very realistic and possible outcome, and unfortunately it’s not pretty.

If you’re someone who could care less about space, avoid this movie at all costs. You’ll find it to be really boring and dragging. If you’re a space enthusiast and could spend every waking hour of your life talking about the mystery of what lies in our infinite space, watch this movie. It’s so cool and amazing to even think this could happen to us.