• Homecoming Dance Friday (No School)- Oct. 10/19

• Thursday Spirit Day (Pep Rally)- Oct. 10/18

• Wavy Wednesday(College Gear)- Oct. 10/17

• Powderpuff Game (Juniors vs Seniors)- Oct. 10/16, 6PM

• Tacky Tourist Tuesday- Oct. 10/16

• Mahi Mahi Monday(Twin Day)- Oct. 10/15

• Homecoming week- October 15th-18th

The X-Men and Fantastic Four are Coming Home

Jenise Mass, Staff Writer

In the past week major news broke that Disney Studios and Fox Studios brokered a $52 billion deal that resulted in Disney/Marvel buying back their rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises, as well as many of Fox’s other studio properties. The news came as a shock to many despite there being rumors of a deal between the two companies for a few weeks now; however, it was said the deal had fizzled out. So what does this mean for the Marvel Cinematic Universe and what are the terms of the deal between the Mouse and Fox?

After Marvel Comics sold many of their properties back in the 90s to big movie studios to avoid bankruptcy, Fox held the rights to the X-Men and Fantastic Four characters for over two decades and have made several movies with the two superhero families – with some not as successful or as good as the others – and is currently in the midst of a new series of X-Men films. When Marvel Studios broke out as an independent company in 2008 with Iron Man – the start of their own cinematic universe – many fans have since begged Fox to give over the rights to Marvel Studios (which was bought out by Disney in 2010) so that we could see a complete Marvel Universe, however, after nearly a decade many fans had come to accept that the Avengers, X-Men, and Fantastic Four would never cross paths.

Now with the news that the X-Men and Fantastic Four properties are back with Marvel, fans of the comics and films have been very vocal about their happiness and excitement on social media at the prospect of a full Marvel Universe and new stories to be adapted on-screen. However, given that Marvel Studios was thriving perfectly fine without the existence of the X-Men and Fantastic Four in their universe, it’s understandable why people are worried about what the inclusion of so many new characters and storylines could mean for the MCU.

As far as we know, the Disney-Fox deal is not like the Disney-Sony deal with Spider-Man. The Spider-Man character and his storylines are a shared prospect of Sony and Disney/Marvel, but with the Disney-Fox Deal it seems Disney has bought back full ownership of the characters, and therefore don’t have to share them (or the profits) with another company. This has made some fans worried that they will no longer see riskier takes on superheroes because Disney is obviously known for being family friendly, and in the past year Fox has made bold moves with their superhero films such as making Deadpool and Logan rated R, and plan on releasing an interesting horror film-esque take on a New Mutants film early next year, an adaption that is nothing like the comics. However, Disney executive Bob Iger has stated that they have no plans to stop producing the rated R adaptions should there be any more.

Also, the X-Men films have had major inconsistencies and discrepancies in their timeline and the Fantastic Four films have been highly disliked and unsuccessful, with Disney/Marvel now getting them back, now might be the time these Marvel families finally get the film adaptions and portrayals they deserve, especially the Fantastic Four since they are the OG’s of Marvel. And in the next few years we’ll also be seeing more X-Men and Fantastic Four toys and memorabilia since Marvel will most likely drop the freeze on merchandise now that they have the rights back.

The deal is still fresh and there are still many things that need to negotiated and fixed so it is not actually expected to be in full effect for at least another 12 to 18 months, which should be enough time to recast much of the X-Men and for Marvel to figure how they’re going to integrate so many characters to an already packed and thriving universe. They got Spider-Man back in the midst of filming Civil War and managed to give him a proper introduction in just a few weeks, and while one character doesn’t compare to dozens, if there is one studio that can pull it off, it’s Marvel Studios.

But despite this, Marvel still doesn’t have all their rights back. Universal Pictures is still holding a few character and movie rights hostage, however, a deal this big shows that with time there is still hope at seeing a proper Marvel Universe on the big screen. But for now, millions of fans are excited to eventually see new character arcs and major storylines be adapted into the MCU.

Avengers vs. X-Men anyone?

About the Writer
Jenise Mass, Staff Writer

Hello, my name is Jenise, and I’m a senior at Santaluces. I joined Newspaper this year to become more involved with my school and because I’m interested in journalism. After high school I plan to earn my Associate’s Degree at a community college, then transfer to a state university for my Bachelor’s Degree. I love video games and animation; it is a dream of mine to be a part of making video games as an animator and I hope to eventually work for my favorite developer Naughty Dog. My favorite game is The Last of Us. I love music and will listen to just about anything (except country). I love sloths and dogs. I’m an avid fan of Marvel and my favorite characters are Captain America and Spider-Man, and not just because I’m in love with Chris Evans and Tom Holland. This year, I’m excited to provide my input on SHS The Tribe and contribute to my school.

1 Comment

One Response to “The X-Men and Fantastic Four are Coming Home”

1. Mrs. Pirchio on December 20th, 2017 8:49 am

Great job explaining this intricate story!

• The X-Men and Fantastic Four are Coming Home

Entertainment

T-Series, The New “King Of YouTube”

Entertainment

Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Entertainment

Into the Spider-Verse

Entertainment

Shane Sparks Controversy Over Paul Brother Series

Entertainment

Sierra Burgess is a Loser and a Nightmare

Entertainment

The Good Doctor Premier

Entertainment

Woodward Brought Down Nixon and Trump is His New Target

Entertainment

What Happened in the 70th Annual Emmy Awards

Entertainment

Homecoming is Here

Entertainment

No Sugar Coating: The Nun