• Homecoming Dance Friday (No School)- Oct. 10/19

• Thursday Spirit Day (Pep Rally)- Oct. 10/18

• Wavy Wednesday(College Gear)- Oct. 10/17

• Powderpuff Game (Juniors vs Seniors)- Oct. 10/16, 6PM

• Tacky Tourist Tuesday- Oct. 10/16

• Mahi Mahi Monday(Twin Day)- Oct. 10/15

• Homecoming week- October 15th-18th

Top 5 Super Bowl LII Commercials

Jenise Mass, Staff Writer

Last week was the Super Bowl LII with the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots going head to head. The Eagles thankfully took the well deserved win with a final score of 41-33. But if you’re like many people in America who don’t care about football or the Super Bowl in general, but love the hilarious commercials that air during the major sports event, then that’s completely understandable and you are 100% valid. This year’s Super Bowl commercials were hits, misses, or tv trailer spots for upcoming movies (mostly misses if we’re being honest), but there were a few highlights:

5). “It’s a Tide ad”

Stranger Things‘ David Harbor had the audience fooled several times throughout this ad as he nonchalantly played out a few of the typical Super Bowl commercials for cars, jewelry, beer, and fitness programs, only to reveal at the end that it was actually an ad for the clothing detergent Tide with the line “It’s a Tide ad”. Harbor was charming enough and the commercial was a nice and funny troll on the audience, (it even poked fun at a recent Mr. Clean ad) for the ad to pull through and make it on many peoples’ Super Bowl commercial list.

4). Alexa Loses Her Voice

Although this Amazon commercial was released a few days ahead of time, it still aired during the Super Bowl and it was just as funny. In the commercial, the Amazon smart speaker Alexa “loses her voice” which leads to world wide chaos and celebrity replacements from rapper Cardi B refusing to play country music, Chef Gordon Ramsey insulting grown men for not knowing how to make a grilled cheese, and actors Rebel Wilson “setting the mood” and Anthony Hopkins channeling his inner Hannibal Lector, as they hilariously try to take on the role of the virtual assistant.

3). Dundee/Australia ad

This is probably one of the most smartest marketing commercials to ever exist. It starts off as a supposed movie trailer for a sequel to the popular movie Crocodile Dundee and it plays off pretty well starring Danny McBride as “the son of Dundee” with and everyone’s favorite Aussie Chris Hemsworth as a helpful guide. However, later in the commercial McBride comes to the realization that he isn’t in a movie but in a travel ad for Australia as Hemsworth takes him around sightseeing instead of wrangling crocodiles and all that other dangerous stuff Australian’s do. The extended version of the trailer includes more hilarious cameos from other popular Australians Margot Robbie and Hugh Jackman.

2). Diet Coke Twisted Mango

This commercial isn’t getting enough love. Coca Cola recently released four new flavors of Diet Coke including; Feisty Cherry, Ginger Lime,  Twisted Mango, and Zesty Blood Orange. This particular commercial is for the Twisted Mango flavor. It involves actress Hayley Magnus, a can of Diet Coke: Twisted Mango, and awkward dancing. Honestly, there’s no plot or specific message in this commercial, it’s just an incredibly awkward that it’s kind of funny way to promote a new product. And apparently, it wasn’t scripted. The actress decided to do her own thing and the Diet Coke PR team knew they had to share it with the world. A smart decision on their part.

1). Avengers: Infinity War TV Spot

Okay, so technically this isn’t a typical Super Bowl commercial, it’s a 30 second tv trailer for Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War. The tv spot was confirmed a few hours ahead of the Super Bowl, and while it certainly could’ve been longer, it didn’t disappoint. It showed off some new footage such as Spider-Man in space and teaming up with Iron Man and Dr. Strange, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man’s new armor, and Captain America basking in his beautiful long haired and bearded glory with a new shield. Given how this is most likely the most anticipated film of 2018, and how many people watched the Super Bowl just to see this commercial, it deserved the #1 spot on the list.

About the Writer
Jenise Mass, Staff Writer

Hello, my name is Jenise, and I’m a senior at Santaluces. I joined Newspaper this year to become more involved with my school and because I’m interested in journalism. After high school I plan to earn my Associate’s Degree at a community college, then transfer to a state university for my Bachelor’s Degree. I love video games and animation; it is a dream of mine to be a part of making video games as an animator and I hope to eventually work for my favorite developer Naughty Dog. My favorite game is The Last of Us. I love music and will listen to just about anything (except country). I love sloths and dogs. I’m an avid fan of Marvel and my favorite characters are Captain America and Spider-Man, and not just because I’m in love with Chris Evans and Tom Holland. This year, I’m excited to provide my input on SHS The Tribe and contribute to my school.