11 Ways to Relieve Testing Stress

TNS

Exams are always stressful, but there are ways to relax.

Ilisha Strassler, Staff Writer

It’s May, which can only mean one thing: AP and AICE testing. On top of regular homework and work, students now have to struggle with the weight of college credit on their shoulders.

Stress will definitely hit students hard this month, but one thing is for sure: there are ways to relax.

1) Breathe: This may sound like an obvious tip, but breathing helps so much. Take a deep breath for four seconds, exhale for four seconds and repeat that process one more time.

2) Take a break: If you’re anything like me, you get overwhelmed really easily. There is a lot riding off on this one test, but if you overwhelm yourself, you’ll just make yourself sick (AKA me my sophomore year). Study for 20 minutes and take a break for 10. It’s proven that you’ll retain more information by not studying in bulk.

3) Netflix: Netflix was created for one reason and one reason only; to procrastinate. Now, don’t let the all-tempting power of Netflix control you- don’t binge watch. You should study for a bit and then reward yourself by watching an episode of your favorite TV show.

4) Go out with friends: You’ll feel so much better if you go and hang out with people you actually like. They’re your friends for a reason, and if you’re anything like me, then you can complain to them for ten hours and eat lots of food.

5) Treat yourself: Do some late night online shopping that you might regret in the morning. It’ll give you something to look forward to while you study.

6) Take a nap: Sometimes all you need is a good nap to calm you down before and after any of your exams. Avoid all of your responsibilities for 20 minutes for a nice recharge.

7) Go to bed 15 minutes early the night before: Extra sleep helps your brain so much more than you’d expect.

8) Wear comfy clothes: As long as you’re in dress code, no one cares about what you look like in a testing setting. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in, because you shouldn’t have to worry about an itchy sweater bothering you. Remember to bring a jacket on test day, especially if you’re testing in the gym, because it will be cold.

9) Go over some old notes: Just skim through and get familiar with some material from the first quarter. You’ll feel more confident about the exam if you remember some of the older stuff.

10) Get to the exam room a few minutes early: The last thing you want is to be late for the exam, because that just adds stress that could make you lose focus during the actual exam.

11) Take a deep breath: Remember, this is just a test and it’s not worth getting too stressed over. All your hard work will pay off, so don’t worry.