Chiefs Recognized At The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards

Courtesy of Scholastic Art & Writing Awards

Karen Garcia, Staff Writer

Every year, the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards recognizes talented students across America. Students from grades 7-12 can submit their work in order to receive rewards such as scholarships or having their works featured in an exhibition.

This year, four Chiefs were recognized by the Scholastic Awards.

Senior Lorence Medina received two gold keys and an honorable mention for three different paintings, while senior Baylee Johnson received a gold key for her portfolio featuring recreated self-portraits of famous paintings.

“I find it exhilarating that I was able to win two awards for my first year submitting,” said Medina. “This opportunity would not have been presented to me without the assistance of Mr. Terembes and Ms. Ardner.”

The Scholastic Awards recognize talent in 29 different categories, where submitted pieces are judged and then awarded “keys” and honorable mentions.

Junior Ben Ergina received a silver key for his photograph titled “Equal Oppression” and sophomore Jessica Fernandez received an honorable mention for her photograph titled “La Mariposa.”

“I took this picture at the Brookfield zoo in Chicago while on a trip visiting my family,” said Fernandez.

Ms. Ardner encourages all of her students to submit their work every year, and it is safe to say that their hard has work paid off.

“I am so proud of them,” said Ms. Ardner, photography teacher. “They are all very talented artists.”