Netflix Becomes Unfortunate

IMDb.com

IMDb.com

Colleen Rock, Staff Writer

Netflix is planning to create a original series based on the books A Series of Unfortunate Events.

The thirteen book series is written by Lemony Snicket, the pen name for author Daniel Handler, and tells the story of three orphaned children- Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire. The siblings go live with their uncle, Count Olaf, who is out for their fortune. Along the way they go through many unfortunate events while trying to discover the mystery of their parents death.

Snicket  is shocked that Netflix is deciding to make his books into a show, risking their reputation.

“After years of providing top-quality entertainment on demand, Netflix is risking its reputation and its success by associating itself with my dismaying and upsetting books.” Snicket said to Hollywood Reporter.

Associated with Netflix, Paramount Television is behind the production of the series and also produced the 2004 film that starred Jim Carrey and Meryl Streep. The show will start with the first book, The Bad Beginning, and will continue on to the other twelve books.

“I’m excited,” said Zarah Cuevas, a sophomore. “As soon as I found out, I couldn’t believe it. I grew up on those books.”

While the books may be dark and unsettling, but have humorous elements that keep them interesting. The series will be made for the whole family to watch.