Mizzou Under Fire

MCT Campus

The tent city at the Concerned Students 1950 protest on Monday, Nov. 9 2015, in Columbia, Mo. Concerned Students 1950 is a group named after the first year that black students were allowed to attend MU. (Michael Cali/San Diego Union-Tribune/TNS)

Jennifer Corriolan, Staff Writer

Tensions were high at the University of Missouri (Mizzou) on November 22, 2015. All of the black football players joined forces and decided that they were going to sit out of all of the remaining football games until their demands were answered. They were supporting their peers in protest.

The black students at Mizzou felt like nothing was being done about the racial issues that were going on at the campus.

The spark was ignited when the President of the Missouri Students Association Payton Head was racially assaulted. It took about one week and a protest for the situation to be addressed.

Shortly after that, a racial slur was shouted at the Legion of Black Collegians during their rehearsal for a play. Then, a swastika made of feces appeared on one of the bathroom walls in the new residence halls.

Since the administration downplayed the incidents, students decided to take matters into their own hands by creating a petition to get the school’s president, Tim Wolfe, removed. One alumni student decided to fast in light of the situation. Since then, Wolfe has resigned and a new president has replaced him.

People got what they wanted things should have calmed down right? Wrong.

Many white students at the school have responded with death threats to black students. There were reports of students in the middle of the campus chanting “white power,” and targeting black students. One girl reported on her Twitter account that a truck following her around campus. It was also stated that even the KKK were rallied with the white students.

Many of the students over at Mizzou reached out to social media to spread the news because the school was trying to keep it quiet. Other students, including those at the high school level, had their own opinions.

“It’s never the right thing to do,” said junior Santiago Riviera “It’s never right to respond with violence.”

No security was offered and class was still expected to go on the next day. Many students were stuck in their dorm room out of fear.

Students weren’t the only ones with opinions.

“The National Guard should have been called out,” said Mr.Lifson, English and Debate teacher. “If the school police or the city police won’t do their jobs, the National Guard should have stepped in.”

Many Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) have shown their support in stating that they stand with their fellow black students at Mizzou. It’s one thing to have moral support over social media, but moral support won’t protect you when your life is at steak.  The students at Mizzou had an abundance of moral support and lacked tremendously in physical support.

“It’s a disgrace,” said Lifson. “It’s something that America should be ashamed of.”