Taking a Mental Health Day

Courtesy to gov.uk

Mental Illness affects one in five teens on a yearly basis.

Lauren Klemowich, Staff Writer

It can be a silent killer. Something that people do not even know they are dealing with. The stigma behind it is strong.

Mental illness has plagued the world whether it be anxiety disorders, eating disorders, mood disorders, etc with one in five adults in the U.S. having a mental illness.

Mental health today has finally had a light shined on it. Before, the idea of mental health could not be discussed without the shaking of heads and the quiver of the spine. Now, in 2019, people are able to have more open conversions without the fear of judgment.

Teens are at a high risk of having a mental illness with one in five teens (12 to 18) dealing with one type of mental disorder, states teenmentalhealth.org.

Due to the severity and the increasing number of mental illness in teens, Florida has decided to create a new bill that would allow Florida students to take one mental health day every semester. Two other states, Utah and Oregon, have created bills that take into consideration students’ health. 

The bill will be discussed when the next legislative session begins which could be as early as  January. If passed, the bill could come into effect in July 2020.

“The bill is 100 percent a good thing and will break the stigma around mental health. This will show that mental health is a real thing that needs attention,” states Zoe Farrell, a senior in high school.

In 2017, more than 3,000 people committed suicide in Florida with suicide being one of the most common ways people thirty-four and younger die. Suicide is just one of the many consequences of people having a mental illness and not getting help.

Just thirty miles away from Santaluces, at Stoneman Douglas High School, a school shooting occurred killing seventeen people. All the signs were there with many people knowing that the shooter had a mental illness but did nothing about it. Now seventeen people are dead.

“The bill is a good thing, however, maybe the Florida legislature should not get involved. It can complicate things” states Mr. Winkles, an AP U.S. Government student.

Florida creating a bill that will allow for students to nurse their mental health and make sure that they are okay could be a great way to decrease the consequences of mental illness. Students will now be able to focus on themselves for one day every semester when so often students put their health on the back burner for school.

If you or anyone you know is having suicidal talks the national hotline is 800-273-TALK.