Good Grades for Dress Code Change

Ripped jeans began in the 1980s, but in recent decades have become a main stream part of fashion.

Sarah

Sarah Winters, Staff Writer

Principal Robinson announced that if 2,000 students achieve As, Bs, and Cs for the second quarter then the school would relax the dress code in regards to ripped jeans, with a few restrictions. 

“As a parent of a 12 year old myself, going out shopping I see where there’s not a lot of options for students,” Principal Robinson said,  “and right now it’s a fad that I thought would go away, and obviously it’s not going away anytime soon.” 

She has had several groups and committees on campus ask her to consider the relaxed dress code since last year, but she did not want to change the policy without being able to use it as an incentive for students to reach their academic potential. 

“I think it’s cool that the school is giving us a way to dress the way we want and all we have to do is get good grades,” said junior, Abigail Rozo,  “It is an epic deal where students get to feel more comfortable in the way we dress.”

If the dress code is relaxed, the change would carry on throughout the rest of the school year, and potentially into following school years. As long as students follow the guidelines put in place in regards to ripped jeans, it would be possible for the policy to stay. 

“My hope would be that students would understand that yes, you can wear ripped jeans within reason nothing that’s too blatant or inappropriate for school,” Principal Robinson said, “but I understand that as teenagers that’s just kinda what you guys wear these days.”

As of November 9th the school was at 905 As and Bs and teachers will upload all of their grades this coming Friday the 13th. 

Principal Robinson has been visiting many classrooms in preparation for their mid term assessment and  reminding them about the dress code incentive. “Many of them say that they’re in the process of working with their teachers to turn in missing assignments. Students have assessments coming up, so we are almost halfway there.” she said.