AICE Scholar Awards 2020

Alexandra Clifton

Santaluces AICE Scholars accepting their awards.

Lauren Klemowich, Staff Writer

Certain Santaluces students have a unique opportunity to receive college credit before they graduate from high school. At Santaluces, this is most likely due to taking AICE courses. AICE is the Advanced International Certificate of Education which was developed by the University of Cambridge in England. Many students, not only in Palm Beach County, but around the world, take these classes to get ahead before heading off to college.

Taking AICE classes is no easy feat. To get college credit, students need to pass their exams at the end of the school year. If a student passes seven or more of the AICE exams in a matter of three years, they are qualified for the AICE Diploma.

For the first time ever in Santaluces’ history, fifteen Chiefs received their AICE Diploma in their junior year of high school. Seven other students received an AICE scholar award, which means they passed at least three of their exams with a “C.” 

To award the Chiefs and other students in Palm Beach County Schools who excelled in their classes for the past year, the School District of Palm Beach County and the Cambridge Assessment International Education hosted the AICE Scholar Awards at the Kravis Center.

Multiple guest speakers were present from Cambridge International including Don Meyers, the Manager of Southeast USA for Cambridge International. Also, one student in Palm Beach County had the highest score in the world for AICE Tourism and Travel, giving a speech on how the AICE program helped her.

“The AICE award ceremony was both an enjoyable and entertaining experience. Receiving our award was gratifying and special.”

Overall, over 500 students were rewarded at the event from all different schools in Palm Beach County. For Santaluces, eight students were honored at the event and received the AICE scholar award for having high marks on three or more exams.

The students were not the only people honored at the event. The School District of Palm Beach County was rewarded. The school district received the District of the Year award from Cambridge International. Palm Beach County is one of the biggest school districts for Cambridge International and has become a success story for the AICE program.

“The AICE awards were honestly such a great experience. I had never gone to an event like it and it was so special for me,” states AICE scholar award winner Isabella Botero.