Ask Mica: Friends in High School

Micaela Saravia, Staff Writer

Some of us are lucky enough to go to school with the same people since elementary school, but some are not as lucky. For many students entering high school, making friends may seem like a big deal. From choosing who to sit with at lunch to who you’re going to sit next to in class, I can assure you it’s not as big of a deal as you are making it out to be. You will be spending the majority of each day in a classroom with other students, you are bound to make friends. However, whether or not they are people worthy of being your friends is a lesson you will have to learn on your own.

“Show me who your friends are and I’ll show you who you are.”

My piece of advice here is choose your friends wisely. Your friends are and will always be a reflection of you. You should surround yourself with individuals who not only share your interest but are heading in the same direction as you. Your friends will help guide you through your high school career and you might not realize it but they also help mold you into the adult you are becoming.

You will experience all kinds of people in high school. There will be students who are just as driven as you, if not more. There will be people who will encourage you to do better, who will show you better. But, you will also meet students who aren’t heading the same direction as you, students who might not take their education as seriously as you. Students who might be focused on different things than you are, this is why I say to find friends with your same interest. Find good influences.

I guess you can say I’m one of the lucky ones. I’m fortunate enough to have the same group of friends since I was a freshman and although I have seen people flow in and out of this group, the ones who have stuck around are the ones I am proud to call my friends. Choose friends that you won’t be afraid to bring home to introduce to your family. Friends that want to better themselves as much as you, friends who are just as ambitious as you are. Friends you can one day see yourself walking across that stage with to your diploma.

Be friends with people who make you a better person and vice versa. Having people around who share similar values and you are not only able to have a good time with but also count on when you need it the most. People who will motivate you to be the best version of yourself and encourage you to do whatever you put your mind to.

Do not worry about friends who you are no longer close with, although the group of friends I have may be small compared to freshman year, they are definitely the best friends I could have. With this, the rule of quality and quantity comes into  play. My friends have shown me that I can count on them during my lowest points and have them laughing by my side during my highest points. It is less important how many friends you have and rather the friends you have who care about you and will be by your side no matter what.

At the end of day everyone comes into your life as a lesson or a gift, so be conscience of those who are there for you and keep them close.