Crazy Rich Asians

Alicia DeMar, Staff Writer

The romantic-comedy Crazy Rich Asians did exactly what it was meant to do- make people laugh, make people cry, and provide representation for minorities. With a $30 million dollar budget, the movie has reached No.1 in the North American box office and is the most successful PG-13 romantic-comedy in years.

The movie is the first Hollywood film in 25 years with an all Asian cast after The Joy Luck Club. The cast brings together familiar Asian-American faces and new ones with the female lead being played by Constance Wu from the ABC hit show Fresh Off the Boat and the male lead being played by fresh face Henry Golding. The cast alone gives minorities, specifically Asians, representation in Hollywood by breaking harmful and insulting stereotypes. Beyond the cast, the movie was directed by Asian-American Jon M. Chu. The movie is based on the best-selling novel by Kevin Kwan.

Critics also love this movie. With a 93% fresh tomato rating by review site Rotten Tomatoes, the movie incorporates the best aspects of a romantic-comedy with a twist of Chinese culture. The movie is about NYU economics professor Rachel Chu who goes to Singapore with her boyfriend Nick for his best friend’s wedding. She soon discovers that her boyfriend is rich – filthy rich. His family is a household name in Singapore and Rachel is extremely out of place. Throughout the movie, Rachel meets egotistical socialites and has to win over Nick’s extremely entitled mother. The movie is a great option if you’re looking to smile and cry all at the same time. This romantic-comedy is great to see with friends or even a significant other.