Save The Date!
  • Graduation: 05/14
  • No School: 05/27
  • End of 4th Quarter: 05/30

Boynton Beach

• 2 AM
    81 °
  • 3 AM
    80 °
  • 4 AM
    79 °
  • 5 AM
    79 °
  • 6 AM
    79 °
  • 7 AM
    79 °
  • 8 AM
    81 °
  • 9 AM
    83 °
  • 10 AM
    86 °
  • 11 AM
    88 °
  • 12 PM
    90 °
  • 1 PM
    91 °
  • 2 PM
    89 °
  • 3 PM
    86 °
  • 4 PM
    86 °
  • 5 PM
    85 °
  • 6 PM
    84 °
  • 7 PM
    83 °
  • 8 PM
    82 °
  • 9 PM
    81 °
  • 10 PM
    81 °
  • 11 PM
    80 °
  • 12 AM
    80 °
  • 1 AM
    80 °
  • 2 AM
    79 °
May 19
91°/ 80°
Patchy rain nearby
May 20
91°/ 77°
Patchy rain nearby
May 21
85°/ 77°
Patchy rain nearby
Poll

This poll has ended.

Are you ready for testing?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

@shsthetribe on Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

The Tribe (@shsthetribe) • Instagram photos and videos

Bad Batch Finale, What’s Next?

Cole Montag

Star Wars: The Bad Batch has finally finished its run, 3 years after the series premiered on Disney+. Starring Dee Bradley Baker, Michelle Ang, and more, the series followed Clone Force 99 after Order 66. They’d be joined by a young female clone named Omega as they found their place in the galaxy. Throughout the first two seasons, the squad’s sniper Crosshair left for the Empire, Kamino was blown up, Clone Wars veteran Echo left to join previously-Captain Rex, Tech died, and Omega was captured on the planet Tantiss. Season 3 was finally released with 3 episodes on February 21st, ending with The Cavalry Has Arrived on May 1st. The series, like any other, had its highs and its lows, but The Bad Batch has proved to be a worthy addition to Star Wars, arguably one of the best productions since Disney acquired Lucasfilm Ltd. in 2012. If you don’t want spoilers, do not continue reading, just trust that the finale was a fantastic finisher to the series, albeit with some flaws.

As said before, The Cavalry Has Arrived wrapped up the series in a wonderful bow, and there isn’t much I would’ve wanted changed. If you don’t recall the episode, it starts with most of the Bad Batch trying to get into Tantiss Base from the outside, Echo inside the base working with Emerie, and Omega planning a breakout with the force-sensitive children. After the kids release the captive Zillo Beast, it escapes into Tantiss’ wilderness and makes an entrance for the clones outside. Their efforts are soon stopped by a group of modified clones, not too different from themselves, led by CX-2. The two forces battle, but the Empire wins with Crosshair’s hand cut clean off (honorary Skywalker now) and the Batch in captivity by Hemlock. Echo finds Omega and the two allow Emerie and the children to leave the planet for Pabu. They soon release the clone prisoners, which aid them in saving Hunter, Wrecker, and Crosshair.

Nala Se, as one of the prior prisoners, leaves and tries to destroy any research the Empire has, before Rampart tries stealing it for his own benefit. Nala Se, thermal detonator in hand, sacrifices herself to blast the data and Rampart away. The clones eventually make it to where Clone Force 99 is being held, fight the advanced clones, and release the three. Hemlock, alongside Scorch, takes Omega to try and begin research anew, but Hunter, Wrecker, and Crosshair manage to kill them and save Omega. They leave Tantiss for Pabu, and Tarkin arrives to see what had happened. As he expected, everyone was dead and Tantiss was a waste of money, leading Tarkin to move any assets to Project Stardust (which dedicated fans know is the Death Star’s code name). The surviving clones, the force-sensitive kids, and Emerie adapt to life on the peaceful planet of Pabu, wondering what’s next. Cut to an epilogue many years later, Omega is an adult giving her final goodbyes to Hunter before joining the Rebellion as a pilot.

With that out of the way, let’s discuss the episodes goods, its bads, and what might be next for Omega and the animated shows. The episode was honestly a lot more hopeful than I or other Bad Batch fans had expected. With Plan 99 killing off Tech (and a dedicated group of fans believing him alive up until now), most had worried that Crosshair or Echo, at worst the entire Bad Batch minus Omega, would be dead before the runtime was finished. This was gladly not the case, and despite Crosshair’s lack of a hand, the squad lived happily on Pabu well after. As mentioned before, some had believed Tech to still be alive, the main theory being that he was groomed into becoming CX-2, but I am glad this was not the case. Tech’s death served as a major sacrifice to keep the rest alive, and with him surviving, it would’ve ruined any tension caused from Plan 99. CX-2, as hoped, was more of a mirror into what Crosshair could’ve become with the Empire rather than a not-dead Tech.

However, there was much left to be desired in order to wrap up certain portions of the show. Cody was featured in Season 2, going AWOL soon after, and while he didn’t need to be the star of the season, a little explanation would’ve been nice instead of a second cliffhanger after Revenge of the Sith. I hope we get to see him soon, because he hadn’t showed up in Rebels, and now will most likely not show up for another few years to come. As well, the entire show’s characterization of Clone Commando Scorch was flawed. For those not familiar, he and the Delta Squad in the video game Republic Commando were the “original” Bad Batch. Boss, Fixer, Scorch, and Sev were an advanced group of clone commandos with specialties not too different from Clone Force 99’s. While I acknowledge that Scorch’s appearance in the series served as a point to show how the Empire dehumanized the clones, neither Canon nor the Legends continuities did the commandos justice, just making them expendable pawns for the empire. However, even Legends Delta Squad (after losing Sev) became some of the highest ranking in the Empire’s 501st legion.

Other than their loose ends and disappointing characterization of returning characters, the finale was enjoyable, gave us a wonderful send off to the clones we got to love after Clone Wars Season 7, and allowed The Bad Batch to become one of Disney’s greatest creations with Star Wars. However, this has left many wondering what is next? Tales of the Empire, Tales of the Jedi‘s sequel in all but name released on May 4th to… mixed reception, giving perspective to Ahsoka‘s antagonist Morgan Elsbeth and to Barriss Offee. However, we don’t know much of what is to come with Star Wars. There are many movies in production, most cancelled or in an unknown state, and some new seasons of shows like Ahsoka and Andor. Two new shows, The Acolyte and Skeleton Crew will release soon, but no news of another Tales series, or anything with Omega. Given the final scene of the episode, we will see more of Omega. Whether animated or live-action, it’ll most likely see Omega and a new crew of pilots fighting for the Rebellion or New Republic, with guest appearances from Hunter, Wrecker, Crosshair, or Echo. That still remains to be seen, all we can hope for is that they turn out good, and we see much more great Star Wars to come.