Movie Review: “Blue Beetle”

Photo of the Blue Beetle movie poster.

The new movie “Blue Beetle” was released on August 18th, 2023. It quickly replaced Barbie as the new number-one movie at the box office. Jaime Reyes, the main character, is played by Xolo Maridueña, who is most known for his role as Miguel Diaz in Cobra Kai. The movie takes inspiration from the DC Comics featuring the superhero Blue Beetle. Blue Beetle was first showcased in comics in 1939 and then remodeled in 1964 by Charlton Comics.

The movie begins with Jamie Reyes needing a job and getting himself in a complex situation with Jenny Kord, the niece of the owner of Kord Industries, Victoria Kord. Jenny steals the scarab, a priceless Egyptian artifact, to stop her aunt’s plan to create a dangerous army of superhumans. After giving it to Jamie, chaos breaks loose when the scarab chooses Jamie to become the new Blue Beetle. Jamie must learn what this means for him as Victoria’s goons will do everything they can to get the scarab back. Luckily, Jaime has his family to help guide and support him throughout the movie.

I’d recommend this movie to anyone looking for a fun action and adventure movie. The plot is captivating, with both hilarious moments and heartbreaking ones. Watching this movie is a great option, if you’re searching for a fun activity to do with your friends or family. When I went to the theaters with my friends, we all had a great time watching the movie. One of my friends, Genesis Prado, called the movie “a must-watch”.

Since the movie ends on a cliffhanger, fans are already anticipating a Blue Beetle sequel. Even if Blue Beetle 2 doesn’t get greenlit, it has still been confirmed that the character Blue Beetle will appear in future DC movies. I am very excited about the possibility of another exceptional movie featuring these fantastic characters.

View Comments (2)