Crystals: Fashion Statement or Spiritual Awakening?

Students often mix and match crystal bracelets with other beaded bracelets.

Kimberly Thelusme, Staff Writer

If you look around whatever class you’re sitting in, you’re likely to see someone wearing a crystal-beaded bracelet, or, maybe you’ve seen a rose quartz charm delicately dangling off a classmate’s necklace. The point is, you’ve probably at least heard about crystals and pondered whether they have any actual effects on your health and well-being or if they are just another short-lived fashion trend.

“Some people wear them because they believe in the energy stuff, but I just wear them because they’re fashionable,” said Ferkisha, a Junior. “I think a lot of people just wear them for the aesthetic.”

Genesis, a Sophomore, echoed that sentiment, saying, “I wear them because it’s the trend right now.”

It’s true that these polished gemstones do accessorize nicely with their abundance of color options and textured appearances, however, there is a growing number of people who believe that crystals offer some healing energy. “I wear these bracelets because they are supposed to block all negative energy. They are also supposed to help maintain your physical and spiritual balance,” says Daisy, a Sophomore.

The belief stems from the idea that these crystals comprise certain elements that our bodies interact with differently based on our body’s chakras, which are main energy points in the body according to ancient meditation guidelines. It is believed that we possess seven main chakras that each align with a particular area in the body and control certain functions in that area. When a chakra is “out of line,” crystal energy may be harnessed to equalize the area and restore harmony to the body. The seven main chakras include the Crown, Third Eye, Throat, Heart, Solar Plexus, Sacral and Root chakra. So for example, if someone is having relationship difficulties, you may find them using rose quartz to restore peace and harmony to their Heart Chakra. Each Chakra is associated with a specific color and specific crystals:

Crown Chakra: Clear quartz, Moonstone, Amethyst 

Third Eye Chakra: Lapis lazuli, Sodalite, Sapphire 

Throat Chakra: Turquoise, Amazonite, Blue Topaz

Heart Chakra: Rose Quartz, Malachite 

Solar Plexus Chakra: Tiger’s Eye, Topaz, Citrine

Sacral Chakra: Orange Calcite, Citrine

Root Chakra: Onyx, Red Jasper, Bloodstone

We all have our reasons to wear what we choose to wear, and whether crystal bracelets are a fashion trend or a spiritual awakening, wearing them is a win-win. You can be on trend and feel good at the same time!