Students Are Investing in STEM

Azzurra Degliuomini, Editor

Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (abbreviated as STEM) is something that many students don’t feel inclined to lean towards, especially when it comes to the classroom. But, some students are starting to invest in this academic discipline, and they’re doing it in a way to help the rest of us. 

On September 15, 2021, Dr. Snyder was awarded a $5,000 grant after being selected by the Education Foundation of Palm Beach County for submitting a STEM-related project. This project was called BioVerse, and it was created by a student on campus.

BioVerse is about bringing high-end technology, specifically holographic projectors and 3D printers, into the classroom. These types of tools can help both visual and sensory learners in the classrooms. 

“It’s utilized for biology,” says the creator of this project. “Using this technology, we can represent things mathematically. This can help introduce a Biophysics or Biochemistry program.”

Coming up with this project was simply because we’re lagging behind on research and application. Using these devices helps students be encouraged to research more about various topics. 

On top of that, it can also help both teachers and students alike. 

“For teachers, I guess they would be more inclined to use advanced technology in their lessons,” the creator says. “The students could see that everything they see in biology or mathematics actually has a purpose that actually exists, rather than a concept that exists on paper.”

This technology could help students be encouraged to make applications in scientific work.