Meet The Teachers: Ms. Marshall

Winter Reven

A professional shot of Ms. Marshall.

Tre Robinson, Staff Writer

1. How long have you been a teacher at Santaluces?

“This is My 4th year at Santaluces High School.”

2. Why did you decide to become a teacher?

“Education was (and is) highly valued in my family. My mother read to me while I was in her womb, and I had a home library. I wasn’t the child outside playing and getting dirty; I was inside teaching my stuffed animals. So, my love for knowledge started early.”

“Additionally, when I was in school, very few of my Black and brown peers were in my classes. Being smart and speaking correctly was a “White thing.” It’s not “White,” it’s right. Coupled with that, I had very few Black teachers. Two inspired me, Mrs. Bernice-Brooks Jones from Citrus Cove Elementary and Mrs. Andrea Macon who now teaches at Santaluces. With all of this in mind, education was a selected major in college to fight the long-lasting effects of illiteracy. And, to normalize what we now refer to as ‘Black Excellence’.”

3. What do you enjoy most about teaching?

“I enjoy the students; I learn a lot from the students. I get to learn more about the world and how the world is evolving.  I’m not old, but sometimes I feel old because students change so quickly, so I enjoy the students. I enjoy being able to be creative because you never know what the day presents.”

“How I teach a lesson for one class might not be the same way I’ll have to teach it for another. I like being able to see my students grow up. I run into them in the store. I ran into one of my former students last week. He’s an Amazon driver now; he’s tall with dreads, so I like to be creative. I like that I get to learn from my students, and I like watching my students grow up.”

4. If you weren’t a teacher, what would you see yourself doing?

“I’m very clear that my talents extend beyond the classroom. You’ll definitely find me around the world speaking on different topics of personal development. My ultimate goal is to help people take control of their lives by embracing systems, order, and organization.”
“A lot of what we do in life are time wasters. Distractions are dangerous; they rob you of life. And, I intend to help adults in that area. If I can help more adults, I can help more families. If I can help more families, I’m helping more children.”

5. What do you like most about your subject area?

“I have the opportunity to fight illiteracy every day. Illiteracy leads to poverty, unemployment, and oppression. How could I not enjoy teaching students how to become better readers and writers?”
6. What do you dislike about teaching?
“Our students need more. Honestly speaking, politicians need to hear the hearts of educators, walk the halls with educators, and drive down the streets that our students inhabit. We need decision-makers to work with teachers and administrators and most of all, with students. By doing this, we can ‘apply pressure’ in the right direction.”