Week 2: Inside Varsity Football

Matthew Leto, Sports Editor

The Chiefs began this season with a disappointing 42-0 loss to the Vero Beach Indians. The Varsity football team will play at home this Friday night against the Cardinal Newman Crusaders. Last season, the Chiefs were victorious against the Crusaders 50-19.

The Crusaders are 0-1 this season, after a loss to Spanish River. The Chiefs have a great chance to get their first win on the season and gain confidence. Sophomore quarterback Arthur Gray Jr. will likely start under center, and likely will have a tremendous night connecting to Senior Bradley Toussaint.

Defensively, the Chiefs should come ready and prepared to shut down the Crusader’s offense. Seniors Raymone Bailey and Sidney Guillaume should contribute heavily on Friday night. The red and white are ready to start off the season 1-1, and plan to show the rest of the county with a decisive home victory against Cardinal Newman, the Chiefs are here to play.

Senior Sidney Guillaume weighed in on this week’s upcoming game.

“Friday is about protecting home field, tying up our record and changing the momentum of the season,” said Guillaume. “It’s hunting time and Cardinal Newman will be our first of many victims.”

Prediction

Santaluces 30

Cardinal Newman 13

Come out and support the Chiefs Friday night, tickets are $6. Expect huge nights from Arthur Grey Jr, Bradley Toussaint and Kendyl Williams.