• Homecoming week- Oct. 10/15

Colin Kaepernick Spearheads New Nike Campaign

Nike and Colin Kaepernick shake football and non-football fans alike with new campaign.

Nike

Nike

Kevin Fielder, Staff Writer

On Monday, rejected NFL quarterback, Colin Kaepernick posted a picture on his social media accounts that feature a picture of his face with the inspirational phrase “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything” imposed on top of it. The Nike logo and its slogan are found on the bottom of the photo.

The image is part of Nike’s new “Dream Crazy” campaign, which celebrates the 30th anniversary of its slogan “Just Do It.” While Colin Kaepernick was not the only member of this campaign, he is certainly the most controversial.

Even for non-football fans, Kaepernick has become a household name for his presence in social issues. In the 2016 NFL season, Kaepernick began to kneel for the National Anthem in an attempt to protest racial inequality and police brutality.

Initially, Kaepernick was alone but as more football players began to join in, the blurred lines between Freedom of assembly and disrespectful protest during the National Anthem began to be debated by all ages, especially by students.

“I support [Colin Kaepernick],” Junior Jonathan Joseph stated, “I don’t think people should boycott it just because he has his own opinion.”

Nike’s decision to place Kaepernick at the forefront of their campaign will likely have ramifications for the NFL. Since 2012, Nike has been the main sponsor of the NFL and has produced both game-day jerseys and gear for the NFL. In 2018, Nike and the NFL agreed to extend the deal until 2028.

While some feel the deal, between Nike and the NFL, should give the NFL more control over what athletes are chosen for campaigns, other’s feel that it should have no effect on the private decisions that Nike makes.

“[Nike] should be able to make their own private decisions,” Sophomore Elijah Guillaume explained, “It’s just better for everybody.”

As part of the campaign, Nike released a video on Wednesday which featured athletes such as LeBron James, Serena Williams and Shaquem Griffin with narration from Kaepernick.

About the Writer
Kevin Fielder, Staff Writer
Hi, my name is Kevin Fielder and I’m a senior and staff writer who is focusing on sports. While this is my first year in journalism for the school, I have been involved in personal, more freelance journalism for a few years now. I’m a huge sports fan who has been watching sports for a...